I promised a few of you that I would share this recipe. We had this for dinner last night, and it was so delicious that the boys gobbled it up in no time at all. I made garlic bread and salad to accompany it, and of course it went well with a nice glass of red for the grown-ups.
This is a recipe that I have made before with MasterFive. He loved the opportunity to crumble the feta cheese, squish the spinach into the sieve with a spoon and roll up the cannelloni. Come to think of it, I didn't need to be there at all, I could have put my feet up and watched him work.
Seriously, I liked the fact that it wasn't too hard, but it is still a recipe that I would reserve for the weekend, because rolling the cannelloni can be a bit fiddly for a mid-week meal.
The filling is simply using the recipe from the packet of Latina fresh cannelloni sheets, but as I don't like buying the accompanying sauces, I made my own. I just flung some things in a pot. You'll note that I threw in a teaspoon of sugar. This is supposed to reduce the acidity in the tomatoes.
- 250g fresh cannelloni sheets
- 1/2 cup tasty cheese
- 500g ricotta
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Ground black pepper and pinch of nutmeg
- 2 x 400g cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are opaque.
- Add the wine, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, herbs and season to taste.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a large bowl, mix the spinach, ricotta, feta cheese, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce over the base of a 2 litre ovenproof dish.
- Spoon 1/4 cup ricotta mixture along the short end of the pasta. Roll to enclose filling and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining cannelloni sheets and filling.
- Spoon over the remaining sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with tasty cheese and bake a further 15 mins.