Fortunately, they like lots of other vegetables, and their favourite is broccoli, so I have adapted the recipe to suit us all. They've always loved my rather plain version of broccoli soup (I got it from a Weight Watchers cook book), but the addition of the butter, garlic, leeks, cheese and cream make this soup simply delectable - and of course fattening, but oh well!
Broccoli and Cheese SoupServes 4.
- 60g butter
- 1 leek, white part only, wash and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 300ml cream
- 1 cup of grated tasty cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté the leek until soft. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour into the leek mixture and stir constantly while gradually adding the stock.
- Add broccoli florets and bring to the boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 8 - 10 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat. Blend with a stick blender or process in batches in a food processor or blender.
- Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in the cream and season to taste. Return to stove on medium-low, stirring regularly until heated through.
- Serve with toasted croutons or crumbled saltine crackers.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!